Round steak and mushrooms offer several health and nutritional benefits. Let’s explore them below:
1. Protein: Round steak is a good source of protein, which is essential for the growth and repair of tissues in the body. It provides all the essential amino acids required for optimal health. Mushrooms also contain a moderate amount of protein, making this combination a good choice for individuals looking to meet their protein needs.
2. Vitamins and Minerals: Round steak is a rich source of several essential vitamins and minerals. It contains significant amounts of vitamin B12, which is crucial for the formation of red blood cells and proper neurological function. Additionally, round steak contains iron, zinc, and selenium, which play vital roles in various bodily processes. Mushrooms are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, copper, and niacin.
3. Low in Fat: Round steak is a relatively lean cut of beef, which means it contains less fat compared to other cuts. This makes it a suitable option for individuals who are conscious of their fat intake or following a low-fat diet. By choosing lean cuts of meat, you can enjoy the nutritional benefits without excessive saturated fat.
4. Antioxidants: Mushrooms, particularly varieties like cremini and portobello, are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body’s cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. These compounds are believed to play a role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, certain cancers, and age-related macular degeneration.
5. Fiber: While round steak is not a significant source of dietary fiber, mushrooms contain a notable amount of this nutrient. Fiber is essential for a healthy digestive system and can contribute to feelings of fullness, aiding in weight management and preventing overeating.
6. Low in Carbohydrates: Both round steak and mushrooms are relatively low in carbohydrates, which can be beneficial for individuals following low-carbohydrate or ketogenic diets. This combination allows for a satisfying meal while keeping carbohydrate intake in check.
It’s important to note that individual nutritional needs may vary, and it’s always best to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian for personalized dietary advice.
Round Steak and Mushrooms
2 pounds round steak
Salt & pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms sliced
1 onion diced
1 tablespoon butter
2 ¼ cups beef broth low sodium
½ teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Using the textured side of a meat mallet, pound meat to ½″ thickness. Season steaks with salt & pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Brown steaks on each side (adding additional olive oil if needed). Remove from pan and set aside.
Add mushrooms, onions, and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add steaks back to the pan. Combine remaining ingredients except cornstarch and pour over steaks. Cover and bake for 2 ½-3 hours or until fork tender.
Remove steaks from the liquid and set aside. Whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and while whisking, add cornstarch mixture a little bit at a time to reach desired thickness.
Serve over mashed potatoes.