Blueberry Pie Bombs, while being a delicious dessert, can also offer some health and nutritional benefits when prepared with wholesome ingredients. Let’s explore the potential benefits:
1. Blueberries: The star ingredient of Blueberry Pie Bombs, blueberries are rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins, which give them their deep blue color. Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals in the body, reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, which may contribute to various chronic diseases.
2. Fiber: If made with whole grain flours, the pie crust can be a good source of dietary fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes gut health, and helps regulate blood sugar levels. It also promotes satiety, helping you feel full and satisfied after consuming the dessert.
3. Healthy Fats: Some recipes may include healthy fats like coconut oil or almond flour. These fats can provide energy and support various bodily functions, including hormone production and cell health.
4. Natural Sweeteners: When using natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey, you get the sweetness without the added refined sugars. These sweeteners also contain trace amounts of vitamins and minerals.
5. Low in Added Sugar: Depending on the recipe, homemade Blueberry Pie Bombs can be lower in added sugar compared to store-bought versions, giving you better control over your sugar intake.
6. Vitamin C: Blueberries and lemon juice contribute to the vitamin C content of the dessert. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that supports the immune system, skin health, and helps the body absorb iron from plant-based sources.
7. Mental Well-being: Enjoying a delicious dessert can have psychological benefits, promoting feelings of happiness and satisfaction. The enjoyment of food is an essential aspect of overall well-being.
It’s important to note that while these Blueberry Pie Bombs can offer some nutritional benefits, they are still treats and should be consumed in moderation, especially if you’re mindful of your calorie and sugar intake. Additionally, individuals with specific dietary restrictions or health conditions should be cautious and may consider adapting the recipe to suit their needs.
Overall, when prepared mindfully with nutritious ingredients, Blueberry Pie Bombs can be a delightful way to enjoy a healthier dessert option while still indulging in the sweetness of fresh blueberries.
Blueberry Pie Bombs
1 can (8-count) Pillsbury Grand biscuits, not flaky layers
1 cup (262 g) blueberry pie filling, store-bought or homemade*
½ cup (1 stick / 113g) butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Remove the biscuits from the can and use your hand to peel and separate each biscuit into two layers. Using a rolling pin, roll each layer of biscuit into a 4-inch circle. (You will have 16 circles.)
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the blueberry pie filling into the center of each circle. Use your fingers to pull sides together and pinch to seal. Roll into balls.
Brush all sides of the bombs with the melted butter and sprinkle each with sugar. Working in batches, place the bombs into an air fryer basket about 2 inches apart. Air fry at 330°F for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.