Cheese lasagna with Italian sausage and beef can be a delicious and satisfying dish. Here are some potential health and nutritional benefits of the ingredients commonly used in this recipe:
1. Protein: Both Italian sausage and beef are excellent sources of protein. Protein is essential for the growth, repair, and maintenance of body tissues, as well as for supporting a healthy immune system.
2. Vitamins and minerals: Cheese, especially when using varieties like mozzarella or Parmesan, provides essential nutrients such as calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin A. These nutrients are important for bone health, energy production, and maintaining healthy skin and vision.
3. Lycopene: Tomatoes are a key ingredient in the sauce for lasagna. They contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been associated with a reduced risk of certain types of cancer, particularly prostate cancer.
4. Fiber: Whole wheat lasagna noodles can be used instead of traditional refined noodles, providing a higher fiber content. Fiber aids in digestion, helps maintain bowel regularity, and can contribute to a feeling of fullness, which may be beneficial for weight management.
5. Nutritional variety: Lasagna often incorporates other vegetables such as onions, garlic, and spinach, which add flavor, texture, and a variety of vitamins and minerals to the dish. These vegetables can contribute to overall health and well-being.
It’s important to note that the healthiness of any particular lasagna recipe will depend on factors such as portion size, cooking methods, and additional ingredients used. Moderation is key, as lasagna can be high in calories, saturated fat, and sodium. If you’re looking to make a healthier version, consider using leaner meats, reducing the amount of cheese, or adding more vegetables to the recipe.
CHEESE LASAGNA WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND BEEF
1 pound ground beef
5 links mild Italian sausage
1 pound lasagna noodles (about 12)
2 12 oz jars pasta sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp good tomato paste
2 16 oz bags shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 c. grated Romano cheese
2 1/2 c. Ricotta cheese
3 cups spinach
1 beaten egg
1 small onion diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 c. roasted red peppers
1 tsp Italian seasoning
All purpose seasoning blend to taste
Chopped fresh parsley