NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS LEMON CAKE :
Lemon cake can offer some nutritional benefits, although it is important to note that it is still a dessert and should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Here are a few potential nutritional benefits of lemon cake:
1. Vitamin C: Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, and lemon cake typically includes fresh lemon juice or zest, which adds to the vitamin C content. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports immune function, helps with collagen synthesis, and aids in iron absorption.
2. Antioxidants: Lemons contain various antioxidants, such as flavonoids, which may help protect cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. While baking can reduce the overall antioxidant content to some extent, there are still some beneficial compounds retained in lemon cake.
3. Fiber: Some lemon cake recipes may include whole wheat or almond flour, which provides more fiber compared to refined white flour. Fiber is essential for digestive health and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
4. Mental well-being: The aroma and taste of lemon can have mood-lifting properties and contribute to a sense of well-being. The sensory experience of enjoying a slice of lemon cake can provide a positive emotional boost.
It’s important to note that the nutritional benefits of lemon cake can vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. Traditional lemon cake recipes often contain refined flour, added sugars, and butter, which can contribute to excess calories, unhealthy fats, and sugar intake. Consider healthier variations of lemon cake that incorporate whole grains, natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, and healthier fats like olive oil or Greek yogurt to enhance the nutritional profile while maintaining the delicious flavor.
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 package of instant lemon pudding
• ½ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• 1½ cup butter softened
• 2¾ cup granulated sugar
• 6 large eggs
• 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 (8 oz) sour cream
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, instant lemon pudding mix, salt, and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition.
5. Add the pure vanilla extract and fresh lemon zest to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Mix well after each addition until all ingredients are combined.
7. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan or two 9-inch round cake pans.
8. Bake the cake for about 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
10. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting or serving.
You can dust the cake with powdered sugar or frost it with your favorite frosting.