Salmon is not only delicious but also packed with numerous health benefits. It is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein, vitamins, and minerals. When combined with other nutritious ingredients, salmon patties can be a wholesome meal option. Here’s a recipe for salmon patties that not only tastes great but also provides several health and nutritional benefits:
into equal portions and shape them into patties, about 3-4 inches in diameter.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the patties in the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your skillet.
6. Once cooked, transfer the patties to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
These salmon patties are delicious on their own, or you can serve them with a side salad or whole grain bread. Here are some health and nutritional benefits of this recipe:
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties and contribute to heart health.
2. High-Quality Protein: Salmon is an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is essential for muscle repair and growth.
3. Vitamins and Minerals: Salmon is a good source of vitamins B12 and D, as well as minerals like selenium and potassium.
4. Fiber and Whole Grains: By using whole wheat bread crumbs, this recipe provides additional fiber and nutrients compared to traditional white bread crumbs.
5. Antioxidants: The addition of onions, bell peppers, and garlic provides antioxidants, which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Remember, the nutritional value may vary depending on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used.
The Best Salmon Patties Recipe
1 – 12 oz can pink salmon
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped peppers
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Texas Pete’s hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 slice of white bread, crumbled
1/4 cup flour, add slowly, if necessary, to adjust consistency.
Open the canned salmon and put it in a colander in the sink to drain.
Remove the large bones if you don’t want them. However, they are still edible.
Flake the salmon with a fork.
Place the flaked salmon in a large bowl.
Add two whole eggs.
Add chopped onions and peppers.
Add the salt
Add the garlic powder
Add the mayonnaise
Add Worcestershire sauce
Add Texas Pete’s Hot Sauce
Add ground black pepper
Crumble the slice of bread and put it in the bowl.
Gently mix the ingredients together, without overworking.
If the mixture is very wet, add flour if necessary to adjust the consistency.
Divide and form the mixture into four patties. Set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add shortening or oil for frying.
Place the patties in the pan and brown the bottom.
Gently turn the patties over and brown the other side.
When both sides are golden, remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Certainly! Here are some tips to make the best salmon patties:
1. Choose high-quality salmon: If possible, opt for fresh wild-caught salmon as it generally has better flavor and nutritional content. However, canned salmon can also be a convenient and affordable option.
2. Remove skin and bones: If using fresh salmon, ensure that you remove the skin and any visible bones before flaking it. Canned salmon usually comes boneless and skinless.
3. Use whole wheat bread crumbs: Whole wheat bread crumbs not only provide added fiber and nutrients but also lend a nutty flavor to the patties. You can make your own bread crumbs by toasting whole wheat bread and processing it in a food processor.
4. Sauté the onions and bell peppers: Before adding them to the salmon mixture, sauté the onions and bell peppers in a little olive oil until they become tender. This will enhance their flavors and soften their texture.
5. Allow the mixture to rest: After mixing all the ingredients, let the salmon mixture sit for about 10 minutes. This allows the bread crumbs to absorb moisture, making the patties easier to shape and cook.
6. Form compact and uniform patties: When shaping the patties, make sure they are compact and of uniform thickness. This will help them cook evenly and hold their shape.
7. Keep the patties chilled: Before cooking, refrigerate the shaped patties for at least 30 minutes. Chilling them helps the patties firm up and prevents them from falling apart during cooking.
8. Use a non-stick skillet: Cooking the salmon patties in a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil will help prevent sticking and give them a crispy exterior.
9. Avoid overcrowding the skillet: Cook the patties in batches, leaving enough space between them in the skillet. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and difficulty flipping them.
10. Cook until golden brown: Cook the patties on medium heat until they are golden brown on each side and cooked through. Avoid overcooking them to maintain their moistness and tenderness.
11. Serve with a flavorful sauce or dip: Accompany the salmon patties with a tangy tartar sauce, creamy dill sauce, or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to enhance the flavor.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create delicious and nutritious salmon patties that are sure to impress!